5 Steps to Sorting out Your Wardrobe for Winter
Image courtesy of Morgan Marks
Revitalise Your Warbdrobe for the New Seasonby Alba Gomez
Now it’s time to get ready to update our wardrobes as the cooler months are fast approaching.
The first step is to make sure you clean your wardrobe by throwing out anything that looks wrong on you and garments you haven't worn for the past two years.
I would recommend you do this first, then take out all your autumn and winter clothing and hang it up in your wardrobe. I just did it few weeks ago because there’s nothing worse than starting a new season without knowing what you still have from last year. It’s happened to me that I’ve bought new tops or skirts to find when I get home that I have bought something very similar last autumn or winter.
I will share with you some few tips for the clean up weekend (I suggest you do it on the weekend as it might take a little while), but it is definitely worth it.
- Go through your entire wardrobe in detail; discover the gems hidden at the back of it that you have forgotten existed.
- Check absolutely every single space in your wardrobe.
- Sort all the contents by clothing types: pants, jeans, tops, etc and do the same with shoes, accessories and others
- This step might be a bit difficult so please allow at least a couple of hours so you can finish it all at once. Doing this is going to help you to have so much clarity and will also give you some free space, I definitely recommend it.
- Create five piles of clothing:
- To keep
- For Charity
- To be altered
- To be stored
- And to get rid of
- Analyse what are you going to keep in your wardrobe or wardrobes and what you need to store in a different place for the next seasons.
- Understand your space limitations and find ways to organise your clothing so you can save some space and have easy access to all the garments you decide to keep for the coming season.
4. Store away
- Put away all the clothing for past seasons that we decided to keep and take it away for your wardrobe. Look for creative ways of using space underneath the beds or on top of your wardrobes.
5. Go shopping
- Head to the stores/online for garmets for the coming seasons.
So, after hanging, organising, giving away, and tossing a few things, it’s time to do a list with the items you have already identified that are missing from your wardrobe.
In my case I’ve come to the conclusion that what I really need is a new coat and a couple of new accessories to go with my winter clothes. In fact, accessories are your best option for updating your look without spending a lot of money. Think of getting maybe a new belt in a width and style that complements your body shape.
Another very easy way in creating an amazing number of new possible combinations is getting a couple of tops in a different colour. Take the risk! Choose a new colour to experiment with this season. You will be amazed at how refreshed your wardrobe can feel by just adding a bit of colour.
Not sure which colours suit you best? Consult a professional colour analyst.
About the author: Alba Gomex is a professional Image and Colour consultant as well as a professional Personal shopper. Visit www.albagomez.com.au.
Flourishnote: What tips do you have when it comes time to sort out clothes? What about dealing with sentimental items?
|You may like...|
|Fashion at its Finest in the Southwest - the Southwest Fashion Festival||Containing Kids' Clutter||Winter Trends at enex100||Flourish in Your Life - Flourish YOU|